[Cevdopagem] DAILY SPORTS NEWS – JANUARY 30 2006

Ana Teresa Guazzelli Beltrami aninhabeltrami em hotmail.com
Terça Janeiro 31 11:29:02 BRST 2006

Was Pound right about drugs in hockey?
Byline: Randy Belaire
The Daily Observer (Pembroke)
Sat 28 Jan 2006
Page: 6
Section: Sports
Column: The Wolf's Den
Source: Canadian Press

Dick Pound knew that someday the NHL would be facing a major drug scandal.

But is his claim justified?

Defenceman Bryan Berard became the first recorded NHL player to test
positive for a performance-enhancing drug, but the NHL didn't perform the
test.

On Nov. 12, Berard was tested as part of the United States Anti-Doping
Agency's out-of-competition testing program.

The U.S. hockey team was considering Berard to be a part of its squad.

The NHLer tested positive for the drug 19-norandrosterone, one of many
banned substances.

According to , Berard apparently took the anabolic agent found in a
supplement last spring.

The consequences of his actions led to a two-year ban from playing at the
international level.

However, because the NHL didn't do the test, no action will be taken against
Berard at the professional level.

Berard was quick to show his remorse when reporters asked him about the ban.
"No question, I'm embarrassed about it. There's nothing I can do about it
now, other than accepting what I've done," he said.

Berard is far from the rule-breaking kind of person or player.

In 2004, Berard was the recipient of the Bill Masterton Trophy. This honour
is given to the player who best epitomizes the qualities of perseverance,
sportsmanship and dedication to hockey.

Berard also faced obstacles when he missed the entire 2000-01 season due to
a potential career-ending eye injury.

Despite having vision damage to his right eye, he is still considered a
high-level hockey player.

Thus, with all of his accomplishments, it's tragic to see a player of this
calibre test positive for a performance-enhancing drug.

But, before we point the finger at just him, we must ask if he is the only
one or are there others in the league?

Dick Pound thinks so.

The World Anti-Doping Agency president has been claiming for the longest
time that the NHL had a significant drug problem.

According to Pound, as many as one-third of the NHL's 700 players may be
taking some kind of performance-enhancing drug.

That claim caused a lot of controversy around the league. The top officials
immediately fired back at Pound for his allegations and demanded proof.

Even Canadian hockey icon Don Cherry demanded action against Pound's
allegations.

"Gary Bettman has to stand up and make this guy (Pound) prove it. Take him
to court, sue him, make him prove it," Cherry said. "He can't come out and
say something like that about our guys. We are the cleanest sport in the
world."

Eventually NHL Commissioner Bettman sent a letter to Pound and demanded to
have proof of his allegations, but Bettman is refusing to take action until
hearing a reply from the WADA president.

However, Pound held on to his claim in a phone interview with a Toronto
newspaper.

"The NHL refuses to allow its players to be tested, but I have conclusive
information from club doctors, coaches, trainers and some players," he said,
but then added, "I don't want to say more right now."

Since then, the NHL has adopted a new drug policy to keep the sport clean.

Under the terms of the new CBA with the league and the union, players are
subject to a minimum of two tests a year without warning.

If found positive, a first-time offender would receive a 20-game suspension.
A second-time offenders would be out for 60 games and, if caught for a third
time, then the player is banned for life.

However, in Berard's case the NHL did not do the drug test and the league
will take no action against him.

After Bryan Berard's test was known throughout the sports world, Pound was
back on his attack against the NHL.

Saying how easy it is to avoid getting caught, "Summer, that's when people
use the (steroids) so you get the benefit of it but the stuff's out of your
system by the time you come to be tested."

The NHL tried to put a positive spin on the test. NHL deputy commissioner
Bill Daly said, "There have been dozens of tests administered to a wide
cross-section of our players during this time period and Mr. Berard's is the
only positive test of which we are aware."

However, Pound replied to that statement. "Here's this guy who tested
positive to steroids and the NHL is happy to have him play," he said.
"Welcome to the NHL."

Many players in the league are fully against Dick Pound's claim and say that
the league is the cleanest in pro sports.

However, some do say that even though Bryan Berard was the first, he won't
be the last.

Ottawa Senators' enforcer Brian McGrattan is one of those players who
believes this as well. "I have a feeling a couple of guys are going to get
nailed, I hate to say," he said. "It's kind of surprising though. I think
hockey players are the cleanest athletes but there's still going to be a
couple of guys that get nailed."

As for the fans of hockey, I can speak for them when I say that hopefully
the NHL's policy will stop the drug use and, despite my respect for Berard's
accomplishment, the league should have given some sort of punishment to him
to show the players that performance-enhancing drugs are not welcome in the
sport.

Is Dick Pound right? I sure hope not. If he is, then hockey will have a
stain that no soap can wash away and, to agree with Brian McGrattan, "I hope
it's not too many (players) because it will take away form an excellent
game."

Suggestions, comments, e-mail me at thewolfhowl em hotmail.com

Italy to relax doping laws for Winter Games; ATTENTION - ADDS detail ///
Agence France Presse English
Mon 30 Jan 2006
Section: Sports
Dateline: ROME, Jan 30
Time: 19:19 GMT (15:19 Eastern Time)

ROME, Jan 30, 2006 (AFP) - The Italian government said Monday they would be
relaxing their strict doping laws for next month's Winter Olympics in Turin,
much to the relief of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and the
World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA).

The IOC and WADA had been concerned that some athletes could end up with
jail sentences because of Italy's tough legislation on drugs in sport.

Under IOC rules athletes face disqualification for doping, but an athlete
found guilty of doping in Italy risks a prison sentence of anything up to
three years.

Another bone of contention was the decree issued by the Italian Health
Ministry earlier this month that gave its anti-doping commission full
responsibility for dope testing at all international competitions in Italy.

But Mario Pescante, Italy's under-secretary for sport and supervisor for the
Winter Olympics, said a deal had been struck with the IOC over doping, but
warned penal sanctions could still be applied.

"We've reached an agreement which has been approved by the president of the
IOC," he said.

"Italian law will be respected with regards to penal sanctions, but at the
same time we will be guided by WADA's list of banned substances."

The agreement includes the setting up of a taskforce to ensure a good
compromise between Italian law and IOC rules. The taskforce will include IOC
members, WADA officials and representatives of games organisers TOROC.

The Games run from February 10-26.