[Cevdopagem] DAILY SPORTS NEWS – JANUARY 27 2006

Ana Teresa Guazzelli Beltrami aninhabeltrami em hotmail.com
Segunda Janeiro 30 12:14:04 BRST 2006

Skiier Miller accuses Lance, Bonds
They're among athletes who have doped, skier says in magazine
08:58 PM CST on Thursday, January 26, 2006
By The Associated Press

Bode Miller, who has infuriated skiing officials by calling for liberalized
doping rules, suggested in a magazine interview that retired cyclist Lance
Armstrong and slugger Barry Bonds are among athletes who have taken
performance-enhancing drugs.

"Right now, if you want to cheat, you can," Miller said in an interview with
Rolling Stone that hits newsstands today. "Barry Bonds and those guys are
just knowingly cheating, but there's all sorts of loopholes. If you say it
has to be knowingly, you do what Lance and all those guys do, where every
morning their doctor gives them a box of pills and they don't ask anything,
they just take the pills."

Miller, one of the U.S. medal favorites for the upcoming Winter Olympics in
Turin, Italy, said in the interview that he's worried someone will try to
frame him for substance abuse.

Earlier this month, Miller apologized for saying in an interview with CBS's
60 Minutes that he has raced while "wasted." He is skipping this weekend's
World Cup downhill and super giant slalom in Germany to relax with younger
brother Chelone, who suffered severe head injuries in a motorcycle crash
three months ago in New Hampshire.

Miller, who competed in 136 straight World Cup races, last missed a race in
March 2002.

"It might be a good way for him to ground himself a bit," U.S. speed coach
John McBride said of the break. "I think it's great he's with his brother.
Not only getting away from the sports but putting everything in
perspective."

McBride said that Miller had been "bothered" by the furor over his 60
Minutes interview.

Though he still shows signs of greatness, Miller hasn't enjoyed the same
success as last season, when he became the first American to win the overall
World Cup title in 22 years.

Miller had six wins at this time last season; this season, he has one win.

The team has not said where Miller went, but the skier's childhood friend,
Jake Sereno, wrote in a blog posted last week that "Bode is going somewhere
warm next week, and he is very happy about that."

Drug cheats try to stay ahead of testing: BALCO scandal exposed stars of
track and field, baseball, football
Byline: Dan Barnes
The Edmonton Journal
Fri 27 Jan 2006
Page: A7
Section: News
Dateline: MONTREAL
Source: The Edmonton Journal

MONTREAL - The battle to sniff out the new generation of sophisticated
steroid cheaters counts its victories one tell-tale chemical compound at a
time.

The unmasking of a new as-yet unnamed designer steroid by anti-doping
scientists follows the highly publicized detection of two others, and the
subsequent suspension and censure of a host of international athletes.

It's been a year since Christiane Ayotte, the director of Montreal's
anti-doping lab, announced her lab had discovered a new designer steroid,
desoxy-methyl testosterone (DMT), designed to avoid detection in standard
drug tests. DMT was identified as the more sophisticated successor to
tetrahydrogestrinone (THG), the designer steroid at the centre of the Bay
Area Laboratory Co-Operative (BALCO) scandal in the United States.

A small sample of what was subsequently identified as THG was sent
anonymously to the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency in 2003 and later identified by
professor Don Catlin of the University of California in Los Angeles. At the
Athens Olympics in 2004 U.S. track coach Trevor Graham admitted it was he
who had sent the THG sample to USADA.

The discovery sparked an international sporting scandal. Four Oakland
Raiders and five track and field  athletes, including American sprinter
Kelli White and British sprinter Dwain Chambers, either tested positive for
THG or admitted using it and were suspended. Baseball stars Barry Bonds and
Jason Giambi allegedly admitted using THG in leaked grand jury testimony
though they have denied it in public. Sprinter Tim Montgomery did not test
positive but was suspended based only on testimony and evidence gathered
during a highly publicized U.S. government investigation into the source of
the steroid.

That probe resulted in the indictments of BALCO founder Victor Conte and
Illinois chemist Patrick Arnold, among others. Conte was fined $10,000 US
and sentenced to four months' jail time after pleading guilty to conspiracy
to distribute anabolic steroids and money laundering. Arnold pled not guilty
to conspiracy to distribute anabolic steroids and awaits trial. It is
believed he supplied THG to Conte and is the likely source of DMT.

A white plastic bottle of DMT was among the drugs seized Dec. 1, 2003, by a
Canada Border Services agent during a search of a vehicle driven by Derek
Dueck, a former sprinter from Calgary. He was entering Canada through the
Coutts, Alta. crossing just three months after the U.S. government raid on

BALCO's Burlingame, Calif. lab turned up vials of DMT, THG and norbolethone,
another designer steroid allegedly created by Arnold.

An anonymous e-mail alerted Ayotte to the border seizure of DMT. She
obtained a small sample, identified the steroid and developed a test for it,
but never found any sign of DMT in urine samples sent to the lab. Nor did
any other lab around the world, prompting Ayotte to suggest DMT was "burned"
or removed from circulation when BALCO hit the news.

"If I'm not mistaken, DMT was in the boxes of BALCO or Patrick Arnold when
THG was burned," said Ayotte. "They were going to (distribute) DMT but with
the seizure (at the BALCO lab), they knew they couldn't, so maybe they give
it to the stupid Canadian. When he was caught at Customs it was definitely
burned. They knew we would get to the structure sooner as opposed to later."

Dueck was charged with attempting to smuggle controlled or regulated
substances into Canada and paid a $3,000 fine. He did not name the source of
the drugs to Canada Border Service officials and has never spoken to the
media about the incident. To date, there have been no other publicized cases
of DMT use or possession.

"That Canadian guy had it in his suitcase, not his urine," said Catlin.
"There are others who have been caught with it in their suitcases too."

DMT seems to provide a link between Arnold and Dueck, and there may be a
previous connection. Dueck tested positive for the prohormone
androstenedione at the 1997 Canada Summer Games. Arnold is credited with
bringing andro to the North American market in 1996. It was made infamous
when former baseball slugger Mark McGwire admitted using it during his
home-run heyday of 1998. It was legal in the U.S. at the time but banned in
Canada because of its steroid properties. It has since been banned by
baseball.

"It was the first designer steroid put on the market by Patrick Arnold,"
said Ayotte. "I think (Dueck) was the world's first positive for
androstenedione."

Dueck was also suspended for refusing a doping test in 2000 though he had
that ban nullified by successfully arguing he had retired from competition
in 1999. Attempts to reach him in Calgary, where it is believed he still
lives, were unsuccessful.

Ayotte thinks the fight against dopers would be aided if the Canadian Centre
for Ethics in Sport had the power to compel testimony from people like
Dueck.

"He is not a competing athlete so he could use, if he wants to dope,
testosterone and stanozolol because we won't test him. But he had THG and
DMT, two invisible steroids, and growth hormone. Where was he going? Where
did he get them? The bottle of DMT was something to make many pills. It was
not just for his own use.

"If we want to protect and educate athletes, we have to let CCES have the
power of inquiry at some point so they can see what's going on. It's not
enough to blame only the athletes. Sure, the athletes must be blamed.
Athletes who dope must be taken out of competition. But trainers, coaches,
pushers too."

Because there will be another steroid after this one. And another chemist to
replace Arnold, if he's out of business.

"When you indict somebody that's a big step," said Catlin. "He was thumbing
his nose at the government and they whacked him. I don't think you pop back
up that easily. But there will be somebody else come along. There is a huge
demand for a drug nobody can see or spot."

That's why the anti-doping movement has to be on constant alert.

"It is endless," said Ayotte.

dbarnes em thejournal.canwest.com

Canadian athletes linked to newly discovered designer steroid
CanWest News Service
Fri 27 Jan 2006
Byline: Dan Barnes
Column: Dan Barnes
Dateline: MONTREAL
Source: CanWest News Service; Edmonton Journal

MONTREAL - Canadian athletes have tested positive for a new designer steroid
discovered in half a dozen urine samples sent to a lab in Pointe Claire,
Que.

``Definitely, Canada will have to answer questions,'' said Dr. Christiane
Ayotte, director of the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) accredited lab. ``I
detected it in some athletes in routine testing. I found it in a total of
five (or) six samples.''

The samples are numbered and not named but Ayotte knows some of the
positives came from a batch originating at a competition in Western Canada
involving only Canadian athletes.

Is the country that was rocked by the Ben Johnson stanozolol scandal at the
1988 Olympics on the verge of another steroid disgrace?

``I don't know,'' said WADA president Richard Pound, a former Canadian
Olympian based in Montreal. ``I hope not.''

The substance Ayotte discovered, but has yet to fully identify, is just the
latest in a line of so-called ``designer'' steroids that are all the rage in
doping. Pound said anti-doping officials have identified other designer
steroids and chosen not to go public. Last March, for example, the
Washington Post contracted the WADA-accredited lab in Los Angeles to examine
six dietary supplements available on the Internet. The lab revealed they
were actually steroids.

Ayotte is certain the raw materials in designer steroids come from China and
are manufactured into pill form in the United States by people with skill in
organic chemistry. Slight chemical alterations to existing steroids can
create a new generation that is virtually undetectable.

``And there are thousands of ways to do that,'' said Dr. Don Catlin, who
heads the lab in Los Angeles.

Still, every time someone like Ayotte or Catlin finds a new steroid and it's
added to the WADA banned list, the anti-doping side gains a little ground.
It is a serious cat-and-mouse game with no end in sight.

``We know about a lot of designer steroids,'' Pound said. ``We have tests
for it. We're not going to say which ones because we have to strike a
balance. Do you put the word out so the smart guys stop taking it and go on
to designer steroid `x' instead of `w,' or do you catch somebody with a big
splash like we did in Salt Lake?''

Just prior to the 2002 Olympics in Salt Lake City, Catlin's lab developed a
test for darbepoietin, a new generation of erythropoietin, a substance that
boosts red blood cell production and therefore increases endurance. One
Spanish male and two Russian female cross-country skiers tested positive for
it near the end of the Games and were forced to return the medals they won.
Canadian Beckie Scott was eventually upgraded from bronze to gold after
finishing behind the two Russians in the 15-kilometre pursuit.

With word getting around that the anti-doping police are getting smarter,
how will the cheaters respond? Will 1,200 tests at the Turin Olympics next
month turn up more or fewer than the seven positives which came out of 825
tests conducted at Salt Lake City?

``We won't know until we test but clearly, people have to know we're getting
better and better at testing and the chances of getting caught are better,''
said Pound.

``We know people try to beat the tests by stuffing a balloon with other
people's urine up their ass. We know about that and we're able to find it.
So the room to maneuver is quite a lot less. We've got a test for EPO. We'll
get better at (Human Growth Hormone).''

Ayotte wasn't even looking for the specific steroid she found but an odd
peak showed up in its profile during analysis of urine samples with a gas
spectrometer. Working backwards from such a discovery can take months.
Ayotte is finally close to announcing the chemical composition of the new
designer steroid and confirming the positive tests, which is good news for
anti-doping crusaders. It's a bit of a hollow victory, however, since Ayotte
is certain the new steroid has already been ``burned'' or pulled out of
circulation because the dopers know a test for it is either already in place
or close at hand.

``It has been burned. But it has been used,'' said Ayotte.

Shock and awe: NHL doesn't miss a beat: Attendance records, better games
mark post-lockout season
Byline: Carol Slezak
Chicago Sun-Times
Fri 27 Jan 2006
Page: 121
Section: Sports
Source: The Chicago Sun-Times

When a 10-month lockout forced cancellation of the 2004-05 NHL season, many
predicted the league's ruin. Even after labor peace was reached in July
2005, most anticipated an angry fan backlash that would be evidenced by
empty arenas across North America.

Instead, the opposite happened. The game came back stronger than ever, and
attendance has soared.

'`If anybody had told me a year ago that our sport would be where it is
today, I would have said, 'You're off your rocker, you're out of your
mind,''' said Bill Clement, studio host for NHL coverage on the Outdoor Life
Network (OLN) and NBC. ''I'm still staggered about where we are.''

Most of the credit goes to rule changes designed to make the sport more
exciting by emphasizing a more wide-open, offense-oriented game.

``The game is exponentially more exciting,'' Clement said. ``When I think of
the entertainment value of the sport in the five years leading up to the
lockout and compare it to the product today, it's almost unfathomable to me
the progress we've made in injecting entertainment back onto the ice.''

Tops among the rule changes: legalizing the two-line pass (ignoring the
center red line for offside purposes) and instituting the shootout
tiebreaker.

``Allowing the pass across two lines has been a fantastic change,'' said
Clement, who will anchor NBC's Olympic hockey coverage. ``For example, Steve
Sullivan [of the Nashville Predators] had breakaway goals [in two recent
games], and that never could have happened under the old rules because he
was across center ice both times when the pass came.''

As for the shootout, Clement said, ``Even those who say they are opposed to
the shootout crane their necks to watch it and can't wait to see the
outcome. Thanks to the shootout, whether fans are watching on TV or live,
they leave the game with an indelible memory one way or the other. It's a
vivid memory. As opposed to the predominantly gray memory they'd have with a
tie, now it's in vivid color.''

Two phenomenal rookies, the Pittsburgh Penguins' Sidney Crosby and the
Washington Capitals' Alexander Ovechkin, have added to the excitement.
Through Wednesday's games, 20-year-old Ovechkin, the first pick in the 2004
draft, was eighth in points (63) with 34 goals and 29 assists. The more
heralded Crosby, 18, the first pick in the 2005 draft, was 13th in points
(58) with 24 goals and 34 assists. Already the pair is being called the new
Gretzky and Lemieux.

Blackhawks fans have had little reason to cheer this season, yet according
to NHL attendance figures on ESPN.com, the Hawks are drawing more fans to
games at the United Center, averaging 14,684 per game through December, than
they did in 2003-04, the season before the lockout when they averaged
13,253. And the good news keeps coming for the NHL, which is on pace to set
a single-season attendance record.

``The game is good, the fans have embraced it, business is good,'' said
deputy commissioner Bill Daly. ``That's because of what we were able to do
with the collective-bargaining agreement.''

The league posted its best December attendance in history this season,
averaging 16,931 fans per game, 2 percent more than the previous December
high of 15,578 set in 2001. The December numbers followed a record-setting
October and November.

``In addition to the rule changes, we went out of our way with the players
association to make the attitude and environment around the NHL different
than in the past,'' Daly said.

The new attitude includes measures such as player meet-and-greets with fans,
as well as greater cooperation with the media, particularly its broadcast
partners, OLN and NBC. This month, NBC began its six-week Saturday broadcast
schedule during the regular season. The network also will provide playoff
coverage.

``We've been able to deliver, to make fans feel closer,'' Daly said. ``I
can't even estimate how important [the fan-friendly measures] have been to
our re-launch.''

That is not to say everything has been perfect. For instance, not enough
homes get the league's primary broadcast partner, OLN.

``We're working on increasing distribution,'' said Daly, who added that TV
ratings are ``comparable'' to what they were on ESPN2 before the lockout.
And while marketing and licensing revenue is ``comparable'' to the
pre-lockout era, corporate sponsorship has been ``soft,'' Daly said.

``We hope to recover [in the corporate sponsorship area] at both the club
and league level,'' Daly said. ``It has a lot to do with the timing of when
we [came to terms on the new collective-bargaining agreement]. Companies had
to plan their budget, and they didn't know if we'd be playing [this
season].''

As a measure of progress, consider that the biggest controversy the league
has faced post-lockout came in November when World Anti-Doping Agency head
Dick Pound said that as many as one-third of NHL players might be taking
some form of performance-enhancing substance. Pound reportedly made the
comment because he doesn't think the NHL's new random drug-testing program,
which began Jan. 15, is strong enough.

``[Pound] unfairly tainted our athletes,'' Daly said. ``In our view, his
comments were unfair and not accurate.''

- - -

Labor strife in sports typically angers fans, and the NHL's long lockout was
no exception. That there has been no corresponding attendance backlash has
surprised everyone, including sports economics experts.

``I am surprised at how resilient the fans were, how quickly they came
back,'' said David M. Carter, executive director of the USC Sports Business
Institute. ``People who love hockey are filling the arenas right now. The
key for the sport is to embrace the casual hockey fan.''

During the lockout, which began Sept. 15, 2004, and ended July 13, 2005,
hockey ``fell off the consciousness'' of most sports fans, Carter said. Even
before the lockout, the NHL had been in decline.

``The sport atrophied significantly,'' Carter said. ``Now that they have
labor peace, people want to embrace it again. The NHL has made tremendous
headway, but it had fallen so far, it still has a long way to go.''

Among the positive economic signs for the league is the fact that with the
hard salary cap ($39 million this season) tied to revenue, owners have cost
certainty.

``Now owners can go out and tell advertisers and sponsors they don't need to
worry about a work stoppage, and they can market the game the way they used
to,'' Carter said.

Remarkably, the league that many gave up on now envisions a solid future.

``I'm still staggered at where we are,'' Clement said.

cslezak em suntimes.com

ATTENDANCE SOARS IN NHL

Since returning from the lockout, NHL teams have not experienced a backlash
from fans. Attendance has increased in the first three months this season.

THE TOP 10 TEAMS

2003-04 season

Final season before lockout

Rank, team Avg. Pct.

capacity

1. Montreal 20,555 96.6

2. Detroit 20,066 100.1

3. Toronto 19,376 103.1

4. Philadelphia 19,375 99.4

5. Vancouver 18,630 101.1

6. St. Louis 18,560 97.6

7. Minnesota 18,530 102.6

8. Dallas 18,350 99.0

9. NY Rangers 18,073 99.3

10. Colorado 18,007 100.0

27. Blackhawks 13,253 64.7

2005-06 season

Numbers through December

Rank, team Avg. Pct.

capacity

1. Montreal 21,273 100.0

2. Tampa Bay 20,672 104.6

3. Detroit 20,099 100.3

4. Philadelphia 19,588 100.4

5. Ottawa 19,477 105.3

6. Toronto 19,384 103.1

7. Calgary 19,289 112.4

8. Vancouver 18,630 101.1

9. Minnesota 18,587 102.9

10. NY Rangers 18,069 99.3

23. Blackhawks 14,684 71.6

SELLOUTS UP

Teams averaging 100 percent capacity or more has increased.

2003-04

5

2005-06

10

Less Conversation and More Action
Jovanovic Is Ready to Move Past His 2002 Suspension
By Amy Shipley
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, January 27, 2006; E01

Pavle Jovanovic doesn't spend much time explaining, or protesting, or
pleading his case. When the subject comes up -- and it always comes up -- he
addresses it with more resignation and detachment than defiance. Just three
weeks before the 2002 Olympics in Salt Lake City, Jovanovic was booted off
the U.S. bobsled team after testing positive for a steroid.

Jovanovic protested the result and vehemently maintained his innocence, and
has since sued a dietary supplement company whose product he says was spiked
with steroids. But Jovanovic, 28, doesn't seem interested in convincing the
world a mistake was made as the 2006 Games in Turin, Italy, approach.
Jovanovic, who had been a member of the four-man team that went on to win a
silver medal, merely wants to get on with his life.

"Obviously I had a two-year ban imposed on me," Jovanovic volunteered last
fall at a media session arranged by the U.S. Olympic Committee in Colorado
Springs. "Obviously, I failed a drug test. . . .

"It's in my best interest and in my heart to honestly go and try to redeem
that. I'm going to let my results this season speak for that."

So far, his results have spoken clearly, shouting success. Earlier this
month, he was named to the U.S. Olympic team along with driver Todd Hays,
with whom he is expected to compete in the two- and four-man events in
Turin. Hays was the top-ranked driver in the world in the two-man and
combined standings this winter and second in the four-man, an achievement
Hays credits largely to having Jovanovic in his sleds. What remains unclear
is whether the sweet strains of victory can wash out the shameful stain that
any positive drug test leaves.

Jovanovic seems to know that explanations -- he claims he unknowingly
ingested a metabolite of the steroid nandrolone in a whey protein powder
product -- stand up neither before the Swiss-based Court of Arbitration for
Sport (which denied Jovanovic's claim of innocence and lengthened his ban
from nine months to two years) nor in the court of public opinion. Though
studies have shown that steroid contamination, particularly with nandrolone
metabolites, has been common in dietary supplements, no one can know for
sure whether athletes who say they are innocent really are.

So rather than getting entangled in an argument he seems to know he cannot
win, Jovanovic has chosen to delve into a challenge he believes he can
conquer.

"After what happened to him in 2002, he's back with more hunger," Hays said
last fall from Lake Placid, N.Y. "He's lifted more weights. He's trained
harder."

At first, Jovanovic said, he just wanted to quit. He went to his parents'
home in Toms River, N.J., and sulked, staring at the 170-foot steel bobsled
track in the backyard.

"I had to sit there and look at that track every day as I contemplated not
returning to the sport," said Jovanovic, who made the track with his father,
Radomir, a construction worker. "I had such disdain for the sport."

To pull himself out of his funk, Jovanovic began working with Radomir, a
Yugoslavian immigrant who runs his own business. He took 36 credits toward
his degree in civil engineering at Rutgers University. He played one-on-one
basketball with a friend. As the anger started to dry up, he said, he began
working out again. Then, four months before the official end of his ban,
Hays and Steve Mesler -- another member of Hays's four-man team along with
Garrett Hines -- made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

They invited him to join them in their training in Lake Placid, staying in a
house they had rented. They told him they wanted him back on their team.
Their support, Jovanovic said, paved the way for a reunion with the sport he
said he has loved since watching the 1984 Winter Games in Sarajevo on
television with his father, who emigrated from the former Yugoslavia some 45
years ago after his father and brother were killed during World War II.

"I take into this the same amount of motivation and pride I always have,"
Jovanovic said. "It's just something I think I was possibly born to do."

Ice dancer in limbo after missed doping test
By BEVERLEY SMITH
Thursday, January 26, 2006
Posted at 11:45 AM EST

A week or two ago, two-time world champions Tatiana Navka and Roman
Kostomarov of Russia were the favourites to win the ice-dancing event at the
Turin Winter Olympics.

However, their trip to the Games hangs in the balance now because Navka did
not submit to a doping test last Friday after the European figure skating
championships in Lyon, France.

The International Skating Union is investigating the case, and the World
Anti-Doping Agency is monitoring it.

WADA spokesman Frédéric Donzé said yesterday from Montreal that the doping
agency is aware of the case, but does not have enough information to comment
on it. He noted that WADA policy calls for a two-year suspension for a first
offence for an athlete who refuses or fails to submit to a drug test.

"The case doesn't exist at the moment for us because we need to see what the
ISU does first before we do anything," he said.

Navka and Kostomarov won the European title last week, but in the final
lift, Navka cut her right hand while grasping for her skate blade. She
wrapped the hand in a handkerchief when she stepped off the ice.

Later, according to the French sports daily L'Équipe, Navka repeatedly told
the doping chaperone that Kostomarov would do the test instead because she
had to go to the hospital to deal with the cut on her hand.

ISU rules state the top four finishers at its championships must submit to
drug testing. And in the case of ice dancing, either the man or the woman --
but not both -- are subject to the test and are determined by random draw.

L'Équipe reported that Navka was chosen by random draw and signed the
acknowledgement of notification. But because she signed it with her injured
right hand, she did not make an impression through the carbon paper onto
other copies, including the pink copy that Navka would keep.

The volunteer told the ISU medical adviser, Ruben Ambartsumov of Ukraine,
that she was reluctant to give the pink copy to Navka because it had no
visible signature. According to L'Équipe, Ambartsumov spoke in Russian to
Navka, did not examine her injury and let her go.

"It's not a grave problem," he told the chaperone and said he would keep the
unsigned document.

The next day, she was given nine stitches, but a doctor was quoted as saying
her injury was not an "absolute emergency."