[Cevdopagem] DAILY SPORTS NEWS – JANUARY 25 2006

Ana Teresa Guazzelli Beltrami aninhabeltrami em hotmail.com
Quinta Janeiro 26 11:33:37 BRST 2006

State unlikely to test preps for steroids
By Rob Guyette
Press-Gazette correspondent

Whereas New Jersey took the lead last month in steroid testing for high
school athletes, don't expect Wisconsin to be next in line.

Athletes who reach state championship games in New Jersey will be subject to
random steroid testing in a program set to begin next fall, with the state
ready to dish out $50,000 to make the strong stance.

Jeff Sitz, the 2006 President of the Wisconsin Athletic Directors
Association, and Doug Chickering, the executive director of the WIAA, both
said they see educational directives put into place before legal ones.

"I hope this does not become federal or state mandate," said Sitz, the
athletics director at Wisconsin Lutheran. "The expense is enormous and
legally complicated."

Chickering said in addition to a bill pending in the state Senate, the WIAA
is working on a policy model that includes an educational message. He added
state funding is unlikely.

"State control will be difficult to defend and monitor," Chickering said,
"but it may be the only way to get local interests to address the dangers
associated with steroids."

Aaron Mittelstaedt, a senior wrestler at De Pere, said he can't see equity
in complete local control because in any given conference, some athletes who
are tested could be competing against others who are not.

"If it applies to one school, then it should apply to the whole state," he
said.

Chickering said the WIAA has not done a survey of its own but rather relied
on national polls which show steroid use ranging between 3 to 14 percent for
high school athletes. He said he gives steroids a "high priority rating"
along with gambling, sportsmanship and obesity.

Sitz said he sees the WIAA and WADA taking a dual role in preventing steroid
use in the schools.

"The WIAA has already distributed information for all of us to use in our
schools with parents and athletes," Sitz said. "It's now up to us to use
these materials in our parents meetings and in educational settings with
student-athletes.

"If we can educate kids to learn proper habits and behaviors, it would be
better than the traditional catch-and-punish method."

Greg Smith, the athletics director at West De Pere High School, said he
would be in favor of state-mandated drug testing and wouldn't mind if the
tests went further than steroids. Smith, though, echoed Sitz's concerns
about legal and political battles.

"Steroid use in high school is definitely on the radar screen but is not
close to being the highest priority or concern," Smith said. "The No. 1, 2
and 3 concerns would have to be alcohol, illegal drug and tobacco use.

"(A policy) would answer more than the question regarding steroids but also
other illegal drugs, which I believe are more prevalent than steroids in
high school athletes."

Smith also said he would support a state policy that included drug and
alcohol tests for students in non-athletic activities such as band, choir
and forensics, so that athletes aren't singled out.

Read the label: Supplements worry NHLers: Berard's flunked steroid test
prompts concerns
Belleville Intelligencer
Sat 21 Jan 2006
Page: B1 / Front
Section: News
Dateline: TORONTO
Source: Canadian Press

TORONTO (CP) -- Word of Bryan Berard's positive drug test prompted some NHL
players to cast a suspicious eye at the array of nutritional supplements
like vitamins, protein shakes and electrolyte drinks on their shelves.

Just what exactly is in them, some wondered? Will taking those products turn
them into the latest whipping boy for the anti-doping set?

"I think this is thing that scares players right now," Toronto Maple Leafs
forward Jason Allison said after practice Friday. "I could to GNC or
whatever, buy something to keep my weight on, read the package and it looks
good, the next thing you know you get a positive test and people are saying
you're cheating, which isn't true."

It's an issue that amateur athletes and Olympians have long had to deal with
but is part of a new reality for pro hockey players under the NHL's
drug-testing program, which took effect Jan. 15.

To get through the rigours of an 82-game season stuffed with travel and
back-to-back game nights, players use protein shakes to compensate when they
can't eat a proper meal, electrolyte drinks to help rehydrate and various
other nutritional supplements to help keep their weight and health up.

Berard tested positive for 19-norandrosterone, a banned anabolic agent he
says he ingested through a supplement.

In years past, players didn't worry much about what they were taking. Now,
that carelessness could potentially ruin their reputation.

"I think guys have to be aware, especially if there's testing," said Leafs
captain Mats Sundin. "There's no excuses, if you're putting it into your
system you're responsible.

"You can't blame it on a trainer or someone else."

Added Allison: "A banned substance is a banned substance, even if you take
it by accident. It's part of the worry for the players."

That concern can become so powerful that last season in baseball, a sport
under tremendous scrutiny and an increasingly stringent drug program, some
players kept samples from each batch of product they ingested in case they
tested positive.

The NHL and players' association acknowledge the problem and are working to
create a list of "approved supplements" players can ingest without worry.

"In the NFL what they've done is gone to companies who will individually
batch tests, their supplements, to make sure there's no contamination from
banned substances," said NHLPA executive director Ted Saskin. "It's a slow
and expensive process to put into place but it's one we'd like to have
implemented as well."

That doesn't mean there will be a tolerance for accidental doping
infractions until then.

"Players have to take responsibility for and have some obligation to know
what they are putting into their bodies," said NHL deputy commissioner Bill
Daly.

Indeed they do, because leading anti-doping officials say athletes can not
be allowed to hide behind claims of inadvertent infractions.

"This is the strict liability position that we've had to take in sport,"
said Paul Melia, president and CEO for the Canadian Centre for Ethics in
Sport. "If we accepted that excuse, then the unscrupulous athlete is going
to drive a truck through that window."

There will be tests for new designer steroids at the Torino Olympics next
month according to the head of the World Anti- Doping Agency. Dick Pound
won't reveal the names
CBC Radio Transcripts
Wed 25 Jan 2006
Time: 08:00 EDT
Network: CBC Radio

JUDY MADDREN (NEWSCASTER):

There will be tests for new designer steroids at the Torino Olympics next
month according to the head of the World Anti-Doping Agency. Dick Pound
won't reveal the names of the new drugs. He says he wants to keep that a
surprise to catch athletes who cheat. But as Margo Kelly reports, there are
still ways for athletes to use drugs and avoid detection.

MARGO KELLY (REPORTER):

There will 1,200 drug tests on athletes in Turin, a 70 percent increase over
the last winter games in Salt Lake City. The chair of the World Anti-Doping
Agency, Dick Pound, says WADA scientists have figured out how to test for
some new designer steroids, but he won't say how many or their names.

DICK POUND (CHAIR, W.A.D.A.):

I mean, I have always have this concern. Do you say, all right we can test
for X,Y,Z now and then people stop using it and they look for A,B,C. Or do
you wait and make a splash by catching somebody who's been trying to get
away with this?

MARGO KELLY (REPORTER):

Across town medical researchers at WADA's Montreal lab are busy sleuthing.
Dr. Christiane Ayotte is in charge of research.

CHRISTIANE AYOTTE (MEDICAL RESEARCHER):

We have been here in my lab working on new steroids in athlete's urine
samples. Let's say that we have at least three that are known.

MARGO KELLY (REPORTER):

But Ayotte cautions the tests are still being developed. That and the
secrecy are fuelling speculation about whether they will really be in place
in Turin and be effective. Canadian athletes such as ski racer Thomas Grandy
hope they will be.

THOMAS GRANDY (CANADIAN ATHLETE):

That's the only way to catch people. If you use the same old tests over and
over then they can find ways around it.

MARGO KELLY (REPORTER):

But experts say there are still drugs such as human growth hormone that
can't be detected, and there are performance-enhancing substances such as
EPO which athletes can take up until about a week before the Olympics. Margo
Kelly, CBC News, Montreal.

Dopage - Affaire Eydelie/Marseille: l'UEFA ne compte pas ouvrir d'enquête
Agence France Presse Francais
Wed 25 Jan 2006
Section: Sports
Dateline: NYON (Suisse)
Time: 18:53 GMT

NYON (Suisse), 25 jan 2006 (AFP) - L'Union européenne de football a annoncé
mercredi qu'elle n'avait pas l'intention d'ouvrir une enquête après les
accusations de dopage proférées par Jean-Jacques Eydelie contre son ancien
club Marseille et sa finale de la Ligue des champions remportée en 1993.

"Sur le plan disciplinaire, il n'est plus possible de prendre des sanctions,
la période de prescription en la matière est de 10 ans", a expliqué
Lars-Christer Olsson, le directeur général de l'UEFA.

"Le Comité exécutif estime que, quand la période de prescription est passée,
si rien de nouveau n'apparaît dans l'affaire, il n'y a pas lieu d'ouvrir une
enquête car la probabilité de trouver quelque chose est très mince", a
ajouté le responsable.

Selon Olsson, l'UEFA va toutefois continuer de suivre attentivement
l'avancée du dossier au cas où de nouveaux éléments seraient mis à jour.

"Un dossier comme celui-là n'est jamais complètement fermé, car il dépend de
tout ce qui peut être découvert par la suite. Pour le moment, nous ne
prenons aucune mesure, mais nous continuons à surveiller cela de près", a
ajouté Olsson.

Jean-Jacques Eydelie, qui faisait partie de l'équipe de l'OM victorieuse du
Milan AC, avait affirmé samedi à l'hebdomadaire français L'Equipe magazine
que lui et ses coéquipiers avaient été dopés avant de jouer la finale à
Munich (1-0).

Bernard Tapie, président de l'OM à l'époque des faits, a engagé mardi des
poursuites judiciaires contre Jean-Jacques Eydelie, le journal L'Equipe et
L'Equipe magazine pour propos diffamatoires, réfutant l'ensemble des
allégations de son ancien joueur.

Plusieurs anciens joueurs de Marseille, dont l'ex-capitaine de l'équipe de
France Marcel Desailly, ont estimé que les propos d'Eydelie étaient sans
fondements et ont contesté les accusations de dopage.

"Ce sont des +conneries+", affirme Desailly, titulaire comme Eydelie lors de
la finale de Munich.

Eydelie doit sortir un livre de témoignage le 1er mars dans lequel il
raconte les moyens illégaux utilisés par l'OM pour remporter divers matches
de football, et comment les joueurs ont reçu une "piqûre dans le cul" avant
la finale de Coupe d'Europe.