[Cevdopagem] Pees 'n' thank you/Boblsedder's chance to atone

Ana Teresa Guazzelli Beltrami aninhabeltrami em hotmail.com
Quinta Janeiro 19 11:59:58 BRST 2006

Pees 'n' thank you
Flames players say they'll happily submit to drug tests to keep game clean
-- and to prove Dick Pound wrong
By Steve  MacFarlane, Calgary Sun

Andrew Ference wasn't taking any chances.

National Hockey League players have been fair game for random drug tests
since Sunday but the Calgary Flames defenceman subjected himself to the
process with a pre-emptive strike.

Energy or vitamin supplements are part of many pro athletes' training
programs.

A tainted batch from a shady company has the potential to create false
positive results, so Ference needed to give himself a little peace of mind.

"During the summer for my training, I use the same gel that they use on the
Tour de France and stuff like that," said Ference yesterday after the
Flames' off-ice training session. "Just to be sure, a couple of months ago,
I did my own test. I got clearance from the company and all that but just to
be completely 100 percent sure, myself and a couple of guys just went and
did it by ourselves. Put ourselves at ease."

The results came back clean and Ference has no fear should his name be
called by the NHL testers.

"Now it's like, whatever, bring it on," he said, admitting while steroids
are not a problem in hockey, supplements can be worrisome.

"Guys aren't on steroids, shooting needles and stuff like that. But those
little gel packs or a little protein powder a guy might take, that's the
stuff you've got to be worried about," said Ference.

"If you're with a bad company or a bad batch that isn't reliable, you can
get yourself in a lot of trouble. You're going to test positive and it'll
come out in the media you're on such-and-such a drug. People won't realize
it's just from a protein powder or something like that."

Flames captain Jarome Iginla, who underwent testing along with teammate
Robyn Regehr yesterday for next month's Turin Olympics, sees the NHL's new
drug policy as a positive if for no other reason than to silence skeptics
such as World Anti-Doping Agency president Dick Pound.

"Steroids aren't prevalent in the NHL and, if there are any questions,
they'll be answered," he said.

Jason Wiemer said he expects Pound, who made waves by suggesting as many as
one-third of the league's players use performance-enhancing drugs, to eat
his words if the results are made public.

"He's going to have a lot of egg on his face when the results come out,"
said Wiemer.

The NHL and its players agreed on the drug-testing program last summer as
part of the new collective bargaining agreement.

Players can be tested at practice -- not before or after games -- randomly
twice a season for substances such as anabolic steroids and growth hormones.

The punishment for a first positive test is a 20-game suspension. A second
will result in a 60-game suspension and a third results in a lifetime ban.

Ference says he's happy his sport has adopted the program.

"It should be in every sport because the guys who are honest work their
(butts) off all summer, all year, to be where they're at," he said. "It's an
honour to play in the best league of any sport and if you're cheating to get
there, I don't want to play against that guy. It's not fair.

"Cheaters should be caught and cheaters should be punished."

Boblsedder's chance to atone
>From correspondents in Lake Placid, New York
January 17, 2006

PAVLE Jovanovic, who missed the 2002 Winter Olympics after a two-year doping
ban, has been named on a nine-man United States bobsled team for the Winter
Olympics.

Jovanovic, who blamed his positive doping test on a tainted supplement,
returned in 2003 and has been on the push team of four-man bobsled driver
Todd Hays, whose silver medal was the first by US bobsledders in 46 years.

"Todd is a great guy," said Jovanovic. "He stood behind me, gave me enough
incentive to remain in the sport."

After watching on television from his home as his teammates went on to
finish second at Salt Lake City, Jovanovic will finally make his Olympic
debut in Turin next month.

"I felt I had let down my family, my friends, everyone who was rooting for
me at that time," said Jovanovic. "It's in my best interest to go out there
and try and redeem that."

Hays and fellow driver Steve Holcolmb are joined by Jovanovic, Steve Mesler,
Brock Kreitzburg, Curt Tomasevicz, Lorenso Smith and 2002 silver medallists
Bill Schuffenhauer and Randy Jones.