[Cevdopagem] Drug testing begins today for NHL players.

Ana Teresa Guazzelli Beltrami aninhabeltrami em hotmail.com
Terça Janeiro 17 12:01:02 BRST 2006

Drug testing begins today for NHL players.
National Hockey League players will be tested for the first time today for
banned drugs such as steroids. The league
CBC Radio Transcripts
Sun 15 Jan 2006
Network: CBC Radio

DWIGHT SMITH (NEWSCASTER):

- Drug testing begins today for NHL players. -

National Hockey League players will be tested for the first time today for
banned drugs such as steroids. The league and its players agreed to the
testing last June, but it's been delayed so that players and team officials
could be educated about the program. As Teddy Katz reports, experts in
Canada have some serious concerns about who will oversee the tests.

TEDDY KATZ (REPORTER):

After hockey practices such as this one, players will be asked to give a
urine sample; they'll be tested for banned substances such as steroids or
human growth hormone. Some stimulants such as Sudafed will still be allowed.
It's a small step in the right direction according to the president of the
Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sport. Paul Melia's agency oversees the
testing of this country's Olympic athletes, but his organisation isn't
involved in the NHL program, and he wonders what will happen if somebody
tests positive.

PAUL MELIA (PRESIDENT, CANADIAN CENTRE FOR ETHICS IN SPORT):

No one knows who's managing those results. You know, they could have gone
straight to the experts and had a great program. They decided to keep it all
in-house and do it by half measures.

TEDDY KATZ (REPORTER):

The tests will be done at one of Canada's top labs, in Montreal. Christiane
Ayotte runs that lab, but she says the NHL is using a California lab to
oversee the results.

CHRISTIANE AYOTTE (RUNS MONTREAL LAB):

I must say that I'm not the one administrating or putting in place the NHL
program. We're doing the testing of coded samples, so I will not know when
it's a famous hockey player, and I prefer not to know it. (Laughs.)

TEDDY KATZ (REPORTER):

Ayotte doesn't believe it will be possible to cover up any results. She says
if someone tests positive, she'll immediately pass that information on to
the World Anti-Doping Agency. Teddy Katz, CBC News, Toronto.