[Cevdopagem] Anti-doping squad to visit Uganda/

Ana Teresa Guazzelli Beltrami aninhabeltrami em hotmail.com
Tera Janeiro 17 11:50:53 BRST 2006

Anti-doping squad to visit Uganda
By Norman Katende
Monday, 16th January, 2006

COMMONWEALTH-BOUND athletes will have random doping tests before they travel
to Melbourne, Australia. Uganda is one of the countries targeted for tests,
and members of the World Anti Doping Agency are expected in Kampala next
week.

Head of Uganda Olympic Committee (UOC) medical commission Dr. Ntege
Ssengendo, while giving the commission’s report to the Uganda Olympic
Committee general assembly on Saturday, revealed that the WADA members are
expected.

He said they will be joined by two more WADA trainees at a just concluded
course in Ethiopia.

“They will have to test all athletes. Athletes should avoid taking any
type of medicine without informing medical personnel,” said Ntege.

He advised federations to avail their athletes for the tests and warned that
whoever they cannot get to, will be scrapped from the list submitted for the
Commonwealth Games. “If they want to look for you but fail to get you.
They will scrap your name from the list,” he warned.

UOC president Maj. Gen. Francis Nyangweso cautioned athletes to be careful
about the drugs they take, and always avail the prescriptions to the medical
team.

He said in case at athlete took a drug which has a banned substance when
recommended by medical personnel, then a form has to be filled in giving
reason why, and has to go with the test.

Meanwhile, the delegation travelling for the games has been sliced by over
50 percent.

Uganda will send a delegation of 49 athletes and 17 officials to the games
that start at the end of March.

“These will be the ones staying in the Games Village. We have been offered
55 beds only,” he said, and predicted more cuts will have to be made by
the UOC.

Uganda has entered teams in rugby, athletics, boxing, swimming, shooting,
cycling, table tennis, badminton and weightlifting.

Marion athletes to be tested for steroids
By Aileen McCready
Daily Sun

THE VILLAGES - Marion County Public Schools will begin testing athletes for
anabolic steroids at the end of this month, a move school officials say is
proactive rather than reactive.

Belleview High School Athletic Director Dale Toney acknowledged the
possibility of steroid use among high school athletes, but he does not think
it is prevalent at Belleview.

“I do know that statistically there's a problem of steroids working their
way down to younger kids like we have,” he said. “I don't know that
we're getting any of that.”

Marion County Public Schools began testing students for other drugs in
August 2004. Starting this month, the district will begin testing athletes
for anabolic steroids, drugs that can enhance athletic performance but have
been linked to liver, heart and reproductive health problems. Public
Relations and Communication Officer Kevin Christian said the steroid testing
was put in place to encourage students to stay away from the drug.

Toney believes all schools should test athletes for steroids, not just those
in Marion County.

“If everybody in the state does it, it levels the playing field for
everyone,” he said. “That's kind of the point with the High School
Athletic Association. They just want everything to be fair and for everyone
to be involved. We try to play by the rules here anyway. It shouldn't be a
shock to our kids.”

Marion County Public Schools are able to afford the testing because of a
$600,000 federal grant from the U.S. Department of Education. Each steroid
test costs approximately $120. The grant will cover the cost of the testing,
which involves a urine analysis, as well as salary and benefits for someone
to oversee the testing.

These costs will be covered under the grant for three years. After that, the
school district may fund the testing in its own budget, creating a permanent
staffing position to oversee testing, Christian said.

The Sumter County School District does not conduct drug testing of any kind.

“Once we think there's an established pattern of a problem, we would do
something to intervene,” said Sumter County School Superintendent Richard
Shirley. “Steroid use is not one that seems to be much of an issue.
Frankly, I'm more concerned about marijuana or methamphetamine.”

He said drug testing may be considered in the future, depending on what
school principals see as their priorities.

“Maybe we'll talk about it at some point in the future when we do
budgeting and planning next year,” Shirley said. “It's always a
consideration. It's just a matter of what the priorities are. We don't just
add expenses. We'd have to take it from something else. We'd have to shed
ourselves of an existing cost.”

The Sumter County School District budget usually is adopted in September
after a series of workshops and hearings throughout the year.

Even if Sumter County schools do begin drug testing, that testing may not
necessarily include testing for steroids.

“Obviously, we want to protect our kids and take whatever steps are
necessary,” Shirley said. “Right now in our county marijuana and
methamphetamine seem to be out in the community, and if it's out in the
community, sooner or later it will spread to the schools.”

Shirley said when it comes to the next budget, nothing is off the table yet.
“Every year things are wide open in budgeting. We look at all areas. If
it's an issue for us this year we'll look at it.”

He also said there are alternatives to testing that can serve as deterrents
to drug use such as drug education and increased supervision of students.

“Unfortunately, things like steroid use could happen at home. It could
even happen with parents' approval.   I just hope kids are smart enough not
to do that, but of course, kids are kids and think they're invincible,” he
said. “(Steroid testing) has not been an issue that has been brought to me
from the schools as a high priority at this time, but that doesn't mean it
won't be.”

The Lake County School District also does not test for steroids or drugs of
any kind.

“There is no indication there is a problem so we are not going to just go
out and start testing kids,” said Russell Anderson, athletic director for
the Lake County School District.

“If we come to school tomorrow and see all the kids who left here weighing
135 pounds now come back looking like Hulk Hogan, that would raise our level
of concern. At this time there is not an indication of a drug abuse problem
or a steroid problem with our athletes.”

Anderson said he has asked school athletic directors if they have any
suspicions of drug abuse among players, and so far there has not been any.
He plans to raise the question again at a meeting of athletic directors on
Feb. 8.

Meanwhile, athletes at Belleview High School seem to welcome steroid
testing.

“You don't want people being bigger than you,” said Cody Baungartnei,
freshman soccer player at Belleview High School. “It could create an
unfair match. There should be testing. It wouldn't be fair for people who
aren't on steroids to be against people who are.”

Sophomore Michael Prouse suspects the drug has made its way into high school
sports, but like Baungartnei, he personally does not know anyone who takes
steroids and has never felt pressured to use them himself.

“It's not like in the movies where people come up to you and say ‘Hey,
take some steroids,' ” Prouse said.

He said if students are using, testing may help curb the habit, but it's not
a guarantee. “I think some people might slow down on it, but I'm sure
there's stuff out there that could make it (steroids) not show up (in test
results).”

Assistant soccer coach Rob Roblas has strong feelings against steroid use
and tries to communicate that to his players. “I think they shouldn't be
using steroids in high school,” he said matter-of-factly. “That's
cheating and it's drugs.”

He said he and other coaches warn their athletes about the long-term health
effects of taking steroids as well as the power of addiction.

Roblas said testing for steroids may act as a deterrent, but someone who
already is addicted may try to beat the odds of random drug testing. “If
they are using, they might try to sneak around it,” he said, “but it
puts that intimidation factor in there, and in the long run, it helps.”

Weightlifting will be the first sport in which students are tested. Failing
a drug test once will keep a student from competing or representing the
school for seven school days and at least one sporting game. Students who
test positive also must attend a drug counseling program and are placed on
probation for the remainder of their enrollment in any Marion County public
school. Failing a drug test again will result in suspension from the sport
for the rest of the school year plus an additional calendar year.