[Cevdopagem] New tests making dopers think twice

Ana Teresa Guazzelli Beltrami aninhabeltrami em hotmail.com
Terça Janeiro 17 11:43:12 BRST 2006

New tests making dopers think twice
A Special ReportElement of surprise: WADA keeping some of its tests secret
to catch, discourage cheaters
By Mike Gorrell
The Salt Lake Tribune

Before the hammer fell, three cross country skiers had won a combined eight
medals at the Salt Lake City Olympics - five gold, three silver.

    But then German-turned-Spaniard Johann Muehlegg and Russian greats
Larissa Lazutina and Olga Danilova were exposed as drug cheats through a
newly developed doping test the International Olympic Committee hadn't
acknowledged was in its arsenal. After protracted hearings, all three were
stripped of their medals, their 2002 Olympic results were annulled and all
were relegated to positions of ignominy in sports history.

    With seven doping cases in all, "Salt Lake was good" for advancing the
perception that cheaters will be caught, said Canadian IOC member Richard
Pound, who also oversees the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA).

    No dreamy optimist, Pound is realistic enough to know cheaters are
usually a step or two ahead of the doping police. But he also believes
enough progress has been made in the past four years to make would-be
cheaters think twice before using performance-enhancing drugs to improve
their results at next month's Turin Winter Games.

    "We have to operate on the assumption that there are some cheaters out
there," he said. "So there are some [performance-enhancing drugs] for which
we have tests that we haven't announced yet. . . . I hope there will be some
nasty surprises for people who come [to Turin] thinking they have something
that won't get caught."

    As director of the U.S. Nordic program, Luke Bodensteiner said he has
observed a major change on the cross country circuit since the crackdown at
the 2002 Games, a second blow to the sport after nearly every member of the
Finnish cross country team

   was caught doping on its home soil during the 2001 world championships.

    "There was a real change in spirit within the World Cup athletes, within
the leadership of their teams," he said. "There seemed to be an
understanding that if this kind of thing continues, we're going to destroy
our sport. People will quit paying attention to us. That was a pretty good
attitude change."

    But then Bodensteiner added, "It may have been temporary, I don't know."

    Why the nagging doubt? Simple. The will to succeed compels some already
super-competitive athletes to do whatever is necessary to reach the top.
Also, the financial rewards that come with gold medals are sources of
motivation.

    To combat the practice regardless of the cause, the IOC, WADA and
international sports federations have been trying for years to synchronize
their approaches to in- and out-of-competition drug testing. In October,
they finally were able to forge a working relationship with the world's
governments.

    In the months before the 2004 Athens Games, a uniform code of
anti-doping policies, rules and regulations was adopted by the IOC,
International Paralympic Committee, all Olympic sports, national Olympic and
Paralympic committees, athletes, national anti-doping organizations and
representatives of 183 governments.

    Then, last October, the United Nations ratified the first International
Convention against Doping in Sport, providing the legal means for
governments to enforce provisions of the anti-doping code.

    "Now we have the sound of two hands clapping," said Pound, instead of
the figurative silence that resulted from sports organizations and
governments pursuing their goals independently.

    "Sport can't do everything that's necessary to make this work," he
added. "We can't regulate [drug] trafficking. We can't do any searching at
customs. And governments, for their part, don't know where the athletes are.
So they can't do it all, either. . . . Now the sports movement and
governments are going to use the code as the basis for their fight against
doping in sport."

    Pound said the public's attitude toward doping also is changing - even
in the United States, where sports organizations such as Major League
Baseball have been slow to embrace the tougher standards that apply to
Olympic sports.

    "Think of the difference in public awareness between 2002 and today," he
said, attributing the heightened sensitivity to revelations in the BALCO
scandal, in which Bay Area Laboratory Co-operative founder Victor Conte
testified to a federal grand jury that he supplied steroids to numerous
athletes. He also pointed out "the idiotic statements that were made in
public by athletes" such as Baltimore Orioles slugger Rafael Palmeiro, who
told Congress he never used steroids, then tested positive shortly
thereafter.

    In addition, WADA has invested roughly $30 million into scientific
research projects to detect new doping methods, including efforts to enhance
an individual's genetic makeup. This year the agency also set aside $100,000
for social behavioral research into the motivation for becoming involved in
doping.

    Part of that investment has gone into out-of-competition testing.

    Doping control officials from WADA alone showed up unannounced to
perform 5,004 urine or blood tests in 2003 and 2,300 in 2004. Similarly, the
U.S. Anti-Doping Agency said it conducted nearly 6,100 in- and
out-of-competition tests last year, after 7,630 in 2004 and almost 6,800 in
2003.

    During the Turin Olympics, the IOC said it intends to perform 1,200
tests, up from 825 in Salt Lake City and 621 at the 1998 Nagano Games.

    Athletes who dare to take the risk in Turin face another possible
repercussion.

    Tough Italian drug laws call for criminal prosecution of sports doping
offenders, a far more rigorous penalty than the IOC's threat to disqualify
violators, take away their medals and boot them out of the athletes' village
- but not accuse them of a crime.

    The IOC attempted to persuade the Italian government to suspend that
provision, which technically could result in a police raid on the athletes'
village. But Italian legislators said no.

   The tough Italian law doesn't bother freestyle skiing aerialist Emily
Cook, who said it may help diminish cheating in Turin.

   "I would hope everyone goes into Turin clean," said the 28-year-old Cook,
who is headed to Turin after missing the Salt Lake Games because of an
injury late in 2001. "I know that's wishful thinking, but maybe with Italy
being harder on [doping], it will keep more athletes clean."

   USADA tests

   Between October 2001 and the end of the 2004-05 winter sports season in
March, the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency performed more than 1,000 doping tests on
athletes in all disciplines:

    356 skiers and snowboarders
    189 speedskaters
    168 bobsled and skeleton racers