[Cevdopagem] Penguins Notebook: Players don't fear drug testing

Ana Teresa Guazzelli Beltrami aninhabeltrami em hotmail.com
Terça Janeiro 17 11:40:34 BRST 2006

Penguins Notebook: Players don't fear drug testing
By Dave Molinari
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Monday, January 16, 2006

NASHVILLE -- Considering how the first three-plus months of their season
have gone, the Penguins have plenty of things to worry about.

The random drug testing the NHL began yesterday doesn't seem to be one of
them.

No Penguins were tested yesterday, and no one in a cross-section of players
seemed concerned about the introduction of testing for prohibited substances
such as anabolic steroids and growth hormones.

"I've just been here 30 games, obviously, but, from what I've seen, I don't
think many players are using steroids in hockey," defenseman Ryan Whitney
said. "I'll bet it's the least in any of the major sports, beside
basketball. Football and baseball, I'm sure, have way more than hockey."

Whitney said he underwent testing while competing in a world junior
tournament and that, although testing was done while he was at Boston
University, he never was selected to submit a urine sample.

Forward Ryan Malone, who was tested earlier this season when he was a
candidate for the U.S. Olympic team, echoed Whitney's belief that testing
won't turn up many violators on any team.

"If you look around the locker room, I don't think you see many guys on
steroids, if you know hockey players," he said, failing to suppress a
chuckle.

"Maybe 1 percent of the guys might take [performance-enhancing drugs], and
those would just be the guys who might have to do some fighting or might
need to prolong their careers, for whatever reason."