[Cevdopagem] NHL drug testing will begin Sunday

Ana Teresa Guazzelli Beltrami aninhabeltrami em hotmail.com
Segunda Janeiro 16 12:24:41 BRST 2006

NHL drug testing will begin Sunday
The Whitehorse Daily Star
Thu 12 Jan 2006
Page: 17
Section: Sports
Dateline: TORONTO
Source: Canadian Press

TORONTO (CP) -- Random testing for banned substances in NHL players will
begin on Sunday.
The league was devoid of a drug policy until the latest collective labour
agreement was signed by both the league and the players last summer.

The testing has been delayed until now because the league and the Players'
Association wanted each player and club medical personnel to attend a
tutorial on substance abuse.

''I know I've been constantly watching what I put into my body,'' Oilers
defenceman Chris Pronger said. ''I think this process has us on edge because
it's not an exact science.''

Players will be tested randomly, up to twice a season, for prohibited
substances such as anabolic steroids and growth hormones, but not stimulants
such as ephedrine, which is found in some cold medications.

World Anti-Doping Agency president Dick Pound caused a ruckus in late
November when he asserted that as many as a third of NHL players take some
form of performance enhancing drug.